Stoke the Fires

Merry Meet and Welcome to my Hearth!

Pull up a stool as I stir my Cauldron and let us trade little tid-bits of information on spells, potions, brews, and the real every day life of Woman, Witch, Mother, and Wife.

Merry we meet, merry we part, and may we merry meet again with Many Blessings and Much Love to All!

Monday, November 07, 2011

10 Zen Precepts

I was listening to one of my favorite podcasts at work the other day and it really made me think. The podcast is Infinite Smile. It is a Buddhist podcast that I enjoy and it has taught me so much about the Path that I am following.

In the latest episode, Michael McAlister talks about "Do No Harm" as a theme in the Zen Precepts and how we can use it change our lives and the awakening within. He stays very real on how these 10 Precepts can be used as guides in the mundane situations of our lives.He uses an extremely personal event to illustrate on the uses of these guides.
 
The 10 Zen Precepts are:
  1. Do not kill.
  2. Do not steal.
  3. Do not abuse or misuse sexuality.
  4. Do not lie.
  5. Do not abuse intoxicants
  6. Do not put others down.
  7. Do not praise self at the expense of others.
  8. Do not let greed control you.
  9. Do not harbor anger.
  10. Do not diminishing the Higher Self. 
They are all very profound ways of looking and living life. You do not have to blindly follow them as they are guides, precepts not commandments. You need to be very open on how these precepts fit into your life in a very realistic way.

I am trying to fit them into my life and I will explain how I view each of these precepts and how I try to fit them into my mundane and magickal life. There are occasions where the precepts can be argued as to how deep to follow them, but you need to be fully aware, fully conscious of why you are walking into the "grey areas" of the precepts.

If you choose to not follow these precepts to the letter, the actions that you take should come from a place that is devoid of Anger, Hatred, Greed, and Delusion.

Read over the precepts how would you incorporate them and how would you argue how deeply to follow them?


No comments:

Post a Comment